Is Divorce Mediation Right For You?
While movies and television would have us believe that family law matters are battled out in a courtroom, the reality isn’t quite so dramatic in most cases. Litigation isn’t the only way to settle family law matters, and the team at Gentles Family Lawyers are here to help you reach the quickest, most cost-efficient resolution possible. We believe in exhausting every mediation and negotiation option available so you and your family can come to a mutually satisfying arrangement. If you’re interested in speaking with a mediation lawyer in Sydney, the team at Gentles Family Lawyers is here to help.
What Is Divorce Mediation?
In Australia, you don’t need to take your family law dispute to court. Instead, you can opt for a far more straightforward and affordable process called mediation. Mediation is more private than litigation, and it gives both parties an opportunity to discuss their dispute without prejudice to come to an agreement or settlement.
- Mediation has a high success rate. Did you know that more than 85% of cases that choose mediation are settled during the process? You’re likely to come to an agreement, so it’s worth trying.
- It’s voluntary. You can do mediation before or after your proceedings have been filed. Both parties need to be willing to enter meaningful negotiations for mediation to succeed.
- You need to attempt mediation before applying for parenting orders. Unless there are extenuating circumstances such as family violence or an inability to participate effectively, you’ll need to try mediation and Family Dispute Resolution before applying for parenting orders.
A Few Reasons To Consider Mediation
If you are discussing divorce proceedings with your lawyer, mediation is one of the first things they’ll be likely to suggest. There are several benefits to mediation that are hard to ignore.
- It saves you money. Court fees and lawyer fees add up quickly, and some people go bankrupt trying to fight their matter in family court. Mediation is far more cost-effective and, in most cases, will achieve results far more quickly than litigation.
- Mediation is faster. Sometimes, it can take months or even years for a matter to be heard in family court. When you work with a divorce mediation lawyer, your matter can be wrapped up in a fraction of the time.
- Mediation offers more control. Mediation gives you and your partner an opportunity to come into discussions on a level playing field so you can negotiate terms in a safe environment and resolve any conflicts or disputes.
- Mediation preserves relationships. Those with children will need to remain on neutral terms, and court battles will only serve to create hostility and aggression. Mediation requires collaboration and respect to settle on an agreement, so it’s more likely to foster a positive relationship for the future.
Contact The Team At Gentles Family Lawyers To Speak With A Mediation Lawyer In Sydney
At Gentles Family Lawyers, we’re passionate about delivering the very best results for our clients. Our team are experts in a wide range of family law matters, including separation, divorce, mediation, property settlement, and child custody. We endeavour to provide cost-effective legal services without compromising on our commitment to quality. As a boutique firm, we’re better able to provide a boutique service, and we’re renowned for our resolutions-focused approach to our work. Gentles Family Lawyers strives to provide our clients with compassionate, professional, and accurate legal advice tailored to their unique circumstances. If you’re looking for a mediation lawyer in Sydney, contact Gentles Family Lawyers today.
Manly office: (02) 8319 7498
Ioanita Gentles: 0412 341 635
Conveyancing: (02) 8319 7498
Our Manly office hours are:
8.30am to 5.00pm
Lunch hour: 1-2pm
We look forward to helping you