How To Make Your Separation As Straightforward As Possible
In Australia, you need to be separated from your spouse for 12 months or more before you can begin the divorce application process. During that time, there are a few things you can do to ensure your separation and divorce are resolved quickly and smoothly. At Gentles Family Lawyers, we’re here to help you work through this difficult process as seamlessly as possible. If you haven’t found a family lawyer in Sydney yet, give us a call, and we’ll provide plenty of advice to make sure you’re taking the right steps toward a peaceful resolution.
Discuss Pathways With Your Partner
It’s not always practical to be in contact with your spouse after separating, especially if your relationship was particularly volatile or violent. Even relationships that end amicably are still fraught with communication issues. However, if it’s safe to do so, you should try to discuss the future with your spouse. Here are a few tips for handling that conversation.
- Establish healthy boundaries. Before discussing your separation with your spouse, establish some boundaries to prevent arguments or unreasonable amounts of contact. Outline contactable times to communicate and establish the best forms of communication for you both.
- Treat conversations professionally. When speaking with your spouse, try to speak politely. Answer emails, messages, and phone calls in a reasonable time frame, and if you have custody and feel comfortable doing so, allow them access to your children. The more polite and professional your conversations are throughout your separation, the better chance you have of reaching a quick resolution in your divorce proceedings.
- Broach the topic of the future. Try to talk to your spouse about whether they’d like to do mediation, their thoughts on property settlement and child custody, and their feelings about the separation. If you’re both on the same page, you’ll be far more likely to reach an agreement. However, if the conversation takes a turn and becomes aggressive or confrontational, take a step back and allow both parties to cool down.
- Create a separation agreement. With the help of a family law solicitor, you can draw up a separation agreement that outlines how property, finances, and child custody will be divided throughout the separation period. These agreements are often used as evidence in divorce applications to determine arrangements for property division, spousal maintenance, and child custody.
Mediation is a good option for those who want to keep their family law matters out of the family court. If you’re looking for a family lawyer in Manly or the surrounding areas who can help you with the mediation process, reach out to the team at Gentles Family Lawyers.
- Mediation preserves relationships. If you share children, you and your spouse will need to remain on somewhat neutral terms, and a prolonged court battle will only create hostility and aggression. Mediation is all about collaboration, respect, and striving to achieve a mutual agreement. The process is far more likely to foster positive relationships for the future.
- Mediation is cost-effective. Years' worth of court and lawyers’ fees quickly add up to the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some people send themselves bankrupt taking their matter to the family court. At Gentles Family Lawyers, we strive to provide cost-effective solutions to our clients, so we advise all couples who can to choose mediation. If you work with Gentles Family Lawyers, your family lawyer on the northern beaches will guide you through the mediation process and help you achieve a stress-free resolution.
- Mediation is faster. Court matters can take months or even years to be heard, but mediation processes can be wrapped up in just a fraction of the time, leaving you to carry on with your life.
- Mediation offers some control. Mediation gives you and your spouse an opportunity to discuss your divorce on an even playing field. You can negotiate terms in a safe environment and resolve your disputes or conflicts. At Gentles Family Lawyers, our team of family lawyers in North Sydney can help you with your mediation process, so give us a call today.
Find A Reliable Separation Solicitor
Finding a family lawyer for divorce or separation can be tricky, but there are a few things you can do to find the right legal professional for your situation.
- Listen to recommendations. You can ask friends and family for recommendations or browse through the Google reviews of family lawyers in North Sydney. If past clients are happy with a family solicitor’s work, they won’t hesitate to make a recommendation. You can also ask other professionals such as doctors or psychologists for recommendations, as they may have contacts in the legal industry they know and trust.
- Look for experience. To get the best advice on divorce and separation, you need to consult with a specialist in family law. The team at Gentles Family Lawyers are experts in our field, and we pride ourselves on our ability to provide tailored, accurate legal advice across all family law matters.
- Personal compatibility. You will need to confide and share personal information with your lawyer throughout your divorce proceedings, so it’s important that you trust your lawyer. Make sure you feel valued and respected by your solicitor from the very beginning.
If You Need To Speak With A Family Lawyer In Sydney, Get In Touch With Gentles Family Lawyers
At Gentles Family Lawyers, we’re passionate about delivering the very best results for our clients. Our team are experts in a wide range of family law matters, including separation, divorce, mediation, property settlement, and child custody. We endeavour to provide cost-effective legal services without compromising on our commitment to quality. As a boutique firm, we’re better able to provide a boutique service, and we’re renowned for our resolutions-focused approach to our work. Gentles Family Lawyers strives to provide our clients with compassionate, professional, and accurate legal advice tailored to their unique circumstances. If you’re looking for a family lawyer in Sydney or the surrounding area, contact Gentles Family Lawyers today.
Manly office: (02) 8319 7498
Ioanita Gentles: 0412 341 635
Conveyancing: (02) 8319 7498
Our Manly office hours are:
8.30am to 5.00pm
Lunch hour: 1-2pm
We look forward to helping you